Hi, and welcome to the Swansea Chapter homepage! Here you can find out what we’ve been up to in Swansea and, more importantly, what we’re planning to do next!
As a group we meet up once a month at Swansea University, so please do come and join us! If you’d like to find out more, contact details for the Chapter lead (Cate) are below. Looking forward to seeing you at our next meeting.
A lot has happened since the launch of our local chapter last year. For more details and photos, check out the blog posts below! To recap some of the highlights from 2014:
- Swansea ScienceGrrl, represented by Monika, Jayne, Cate, Emma, Rachel and Alison, attended the ITWales International Women’s Day Celebration – “From the Cradle to the Great” in March. The focus was on women in Computer Science (I sort of jumped on Monika’s bandwagon and tried to recruit a few members for ScienceGrrl!) It was a really enjoyable evening with speeches from women with inspiring careers, as well as members of the Welsh Assembly.
- A number of Swansea ScienceGrrl volunteers took workshops at Casllwchwr Primary School Science Fair in March. The event was co-ordinated by Kathryn Welsby, with assistance from Reaching Wider. Workshops included: Galaxies and Space, Air and Parachutes, Algorithm Games and Medical Physics Games.
- In March we also got involved in National Science Week, as Swansea ScienceGrrl joined the outreach programme “Materials:Live” (organised by Dr Rich Johnston) to talk about/demonstrate Science.
- In July, Dr Geertje van Keulen and Hilary Lappin-Scott organised Swansea’s first Soapbox Science event at 360 Beach and Watersports Centre and Café. Following the success of the Soapbox Science event, a second Swansea Soapbox Science is planned for June 2015. Watch this space!
Other events to look forward to in the year ahead include:
– International Women’s Day (March)
– National Science Week (March)
– Science at the Assembly (May)
– Ada Lovelace Day (October).
Cate, Monika and Jayne
Latest events being planned
We have two events coming up:
Saturday 14th March – Super Science Saturday (in collaboration with Materials:Live) at the National Waterfront Museum, Swansea.
Saturday 6th June – Soapbox Science at Café 360 on Swansea Bay.
Both times tbc but last year were all-day events so people can just turn up as they please!
Swansea news/blog posts
[display-posts include_excerpt=”true” include_date=”true” tag=”Swansea”]